Polka dots are one of fashion’s most-loved prints for Spring/Summer.
Not only is the polka dot pattern timeless and chic (did you know that it originated in the 1940s?), but it’s also incredibly versatile.
After all, nowadays, polka dots come in a variety of different sizes, bold colours and fun ensembles.
And because of this, you can wear them for practically any occasion. Rockabilly fans, rejoice!
Whether you’re popping to the shops or heading out for drinks with your girls, here’s how to wear summer polka dots stylishly and effortlessly for years to come.
For Casual Wear
First things first, if you’re new to the trend and want to dip your toe in the polka dot water, why not start with a straightforward spotty accessory?
For instance, a colourful polka dot belt or headband can break up a neutral dress or add interest to your go-to jeans and tee casual combo.
Alternatively, choose one key polka dot piece and build your outfit around it. This could be:
- A cute spotty cami teamed with a high-waisted denim skirt and sandals for warmer weather
- Wide-legged polka dot culottes paired with a plain top and chunky trainers
- A cropped top with comfy shorts and spotty Converse
Either way, don’t be afraid to let your polka dots stand out and do the talking this season.
For Smart-Casual Occasions
How to wear summer polka dots 101: as a way to dress up your look for a smart-casual event.
We’re talking about those occasions where your outfit needs a bit of pizzazz (and pronto) to set you apart from everybody else.
This might be for work or play, but one thing’s for sure: anything mediocre simply won’t do.
- For the office, team a smart spotty piece such as a tailored trouser with shiny brogues and a sleek tote. Then add a button-down shirt or slogan tee (depending on how strict the dress code is).
- For a family dinner, opt for a polka dot satin midi skirt in a vibrant hue and complement it with neutral separates and chunky wedges.
- For those events where you’re not feeling brave enough to go dotty, nod to the trend with a polka dot tote bag or pointed spotty shoes.
It’s all about pushing yourself out of your fashion comfort zone to get gorgeous results.
To Go OUT Out
Lastly, if you’re wondering how to wear summer polka dots to adopt the “more is more” aesthetic, get experimental and mix up your patterns.
From diverse sizes and colours to different print-clashing combinations, it’s all about wearing your spots in new and exciting ways to create a kitsch, modern look.
And even though the black and white varieties are the most popular and classic colourways, you can easily revamp the polka dot print by opting for unusual hues.
Rich, summery colours, like bright orange, sunshine yellow and sky blue, look cool and quirky as the backdrop to white polka dots. Pastels are also a dreamy take on the trend.
Either way, choose a hero piece for your night OUT out in the form of the following:
- A ruffled, feminine dress
- A loud and proud playsuit
- A metallic jumpsuit
Then team it with block-heeled sandals, sparkly jewellery and some serious attitude to channel ultra-cool chic.
How to Wear Summer Polka Dots: The Takeaway
Ultimately, we can all agree that old-fashioned spots are a thing of the past. Polka dots are now considered a staple print for the Spring/Summer season.
And there are so many ways you can wear them, regardless of your personal style and budget.
That said, the only way that you’re going to find out which kinds polka dot prints work for you is by playing around with a range of options.
What are you waiting for? It’s time to join the polka dot revolution.
What’s your favourite tip in terms of how to wear summer polka dots? Comment below!